Thursday, February 20, 2014

Thankful for the Failures

I'm thankful for the failures.

After work today I'm driving over to Toronto to attend a seminar on soft tissue palpation, treatment and diagnosis.  Pretty excited as it is something I'm really looking forward to attending.  The quest to get better at the craft of performance therapy never ends.  If wanting to get better is a skill,  I do have this skill in abundance.

I'm going to let you in on a not so secret, secret.  I don't help everyone that walks into my clinic.  There are patients that I just flat out haven't helped.  My failures.  You read through a lot of performance therapy blogs and articles and you get the impression that they help everyone.  Doubtful, even if that is what is portrayed.  While I can humbly say I think I help out a lot, there are a few that I just scratch my head and honestly say, I don't think I can help you at this time.  My toolbox presently is to small.  Some are so intriguing I invite them back at no charge to try to figure out a way to make a positive change.  (Another way to learn) I think if you can take away dysfunction for a few minutes, you can for a few hours,  if you take it away for a few hours, you can take it away for a few days, and if you can take it away for a few days, you can take it away for a few months.  The trick is how to crack into that initial few minutes.

If you never failed, I don't think the desire to get better would be there.  If you hit a home run at every at bat, baseball wouldn't be that fun to play.  It's knowing when you step up to the plate that you can fail that makes sport interesting and fun.  It's awesome being in a profession where you get to help people every day, but I'm thankful every now and then I fail.  I hate it, but am thankful.

I will get my toolbox bigger.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Another Good One! Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

That's what makes you such a great Dr. Keep up the positive energy!